East Belfast MLA, Michael Copeland has called on the public to make sure they are taking all necessary fire prevention precautions in their homes after a man died following a fire in his home in Syndenham.
The Ulster Unionist commented:
“News that this gentleman has died following the fire at his home is very sad. It is another tragic reminder of his vital it is to ensure the chances of a fire starting and then spreading through you home are minimal.’
“The importance of a working smoke alarm has been highlighted in this case as it was this that alerted the man’s neighbours to the fire and enabled them to contact the emergency services.’
“The Emergency Services must be congratulated for their swift response to the fire.’