The Ulster Unionist Party Group in Belfast City Council has said it hopes to secure the opening of a Book of Condolence to allow local people to pay their respects to those who tragically lost their lives in the Tunisia shooting.
Alderman Jim Rodgers OBE said:
“The world was shocked by Friday’s brutal gun attack in Tunisia, as well as the scenes in Kuwait and France. Those killed and injured in Sousse were harmlessly enjoying their summer holidays and their only fault was being near a merciless killer who was intent on causing death and mayhem.
“The news that government officials fear that the UK death toll is likely to be in the mid to high 20s, out of the 38 victims in total, only further compels the shock felt by local people.
“Belfast City Hall has a custom of opening a Book of Condolence after major tragedies, such as it did only last week to allow people to pay their respects to the 5 young Irish students who lost their lives in shocking circumstances in Berkeley.
“I and several of my Ulster Unionist colleagues on the Council have been asked by local people over the weekend whether a book could be opened to mark the victims of the horrific attack in Tunisia. I believe this is the least that the Council can do and I have therefore already been in contact with the relevant Council authorities to request it.
“Terrorism and evil can never be allowed to succeed and I believe a Book of Condolence would allow local people the opportunity to pay their respects to the British and Irish victims of this tragedy, as well as those of all other nationalities.”