In last Thursday`s Times newspaper it was claimed that the DUP ‘is being closely consulted over the text by the Department for Exiting the EU.’ Ulster Unionist Party Chairman Lord Empey has raised questions regarding who knew what and when so that the public can assess who is responsible for this shambles.
Lord Empey said:
“The DUP have said that they have a joint committee with the Conservatives to look at policy issues as they arise.
“Given the reaction of Arlene Foster to the leaked document purporting to be a draft agreement with Dublin, two things arise:
1) Either the DUP were not consulted in advance by the Government, in which case they are not as influential as they say or;
2) They were consulted but didn't appreciate the full implications of the leaked document and were asleep at the wheel.
“It has to be one or the other, so the questions that need answering are:-
1) Were the DUP consulted by the Government;
2) When did this happen;
3) Who was representing the DUP at that meeting?
4) What proposals were shared with the DUP?
5) Was the RTE leak the first that Mrs Foster heard of the proposed deal?
“Given the seriousness of the situation, answers to these questions are needed so that the public can assess who is responsible for this shambles.”